My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Point, Oregon, United States

Sunday, April 03, 2005

LOST IN A FOREST OF OPTIONS

Hi- Because I don't really give this blog address out to anyone, the chances of someone actually reading this are slim to none. That is a good thing as I am about to whine about having too many choices in life (I feel slightly guilty about this however as many people wish they had more choices I am sure).
Being a 20-something adult has to be one of the toughest things around these days. I am sure I will probably continue believing this until I am a thirty-something adult. I mean granted we don't have to be married, pregnant, or locked into any sort of relationship, education is relatively easy to come by, we still have all our teeth, we are vaccinated against every possible illness, we aren't stagnant or locked into a particular path or direction... but therin lies my problem.
Many of you who know me well know that I like to "do it all." If someone tells me about something cool, I will probably pursue it. PROBLEM: this leaves me perpetually broke, searching for something newer and cooler, and afraid to actually settle down, heaven forbid commit to anything for a long period of time!
So now, in my search for the cooooooolest, neatest, funnest, next bestest thing, I have to make a very hard decision.
Tomorrow, I find out whether I have been accepted into the JET programme which is a year long teaching job in Japan. It sounds like an awesome experience, a totally new language, culture, and country, and will be good for my future pursuits in the educational field.
On the other hand, on Friday, I was offered a position on a rappel crew out of McCall, ID. I would get to train for a few weeks and then rappel out of helicopters for 6 months to fight wildland fire. I have always wanted to rappel. So, that kicks ass too!
So, when presented with a difficult decision, like this one, I did what all responsible adults do- I called my mom. She gave me her patented "make a pros and cons list" answer. I did. I still don't know what to do. So I am seeking advice from the void beyond... please share your wisdom else I am stuck with eni-menie-miney-mo.

~Tess

2 Comments:

Blogger tessika said...

Ayn-
Thanks for the time and input! I appreciate all the help I can get with this one... I will let you know. Love, tess

April 5, 2005 at 6:57 AM  
Blogger brenda said...

Do you really want our advice on this?

Japan, hands down. You can always go be a stinky girl in the woods some other time (even without fire!), but of course I'm a bit biased that way. I have no desire to jump out of a helicopter and into a fire.

Plus when you go to Japan, I can visit you (Idaho just seems too far away- kidding)

The JET program would also be--and I know you don't need to be all developping a career or anything--at least kind of a stepping stone to a real job (which I guess we're all supposed to get someday). Maybe that's a drawback, but it would be a stepping stone that is still adventurous.

Of course, a year in Japan is a long time, and rapelling might seem like a good alternative to getting out of the foreign-living commitment... I think the real decision is just whether or not you really want to do Japan. And hey- did you get into the program?

April 5, 2005 at 1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home